Our friends at People, Not Pipelines are running a campaign right now that we URGE you to support. Please get your call, email or letter to Cuomo before New Year, as we are concerned the DEC may try to slip an approval of the last permit through over the holiday while they think no one is watching! EVERY DAY COUNTS! THIS TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES!
A Resolution for 2016: KICK THE FOSSIL FUEL HABIT ONCE AND FOR ALL
If approved, the Constitution Pipeline will usher in more fracked-gas infrastructure to keep us addicted to fossil fuels for decades. And it will open the door to the Northeast Energy Direct (NED) project, another pipeline proposed along Constitution’s hundred-mile corridor through New York. Recently we learned that NED plans to serve a massive new gas-fired power plant along this route, pumping five million tons of additional greenhouse gas emissions into the air every year. Those climate impacts double when you count methane leakage. And though the plant’s location is still secret, unsuspecting sacrifice communities will be exposed to toxins like benzene, nitrogen oxide, and formaldehyde. Perhaps most insidious, NED's compressor stations and power plant could be added to Constitution, even if NED isn’t built. We need a swift transition to renewable energy, and we need it now!
- CALL CUOMO:877-235-6537 Urge him to deny the Constitution Pipeline water quality certificate and protect New York from more fracked-gas infrastructure, now and in the future.
- EMAIL CUOMO: Simply copy and paste the letter below into a new email and send to: email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MAIL CUOMO: Click on this link to download and print a ready-to-mail and editable document (or copy and paste the letter below):
- It will be impossible for New York to meet its renewable energy and greenhouse gas reduction goals if the state permits more projects that burn fossil fuels, like a massive gas-fired power plant along the Constitution/NED corridor.
- A state that banned fracking should not promote fracked gas. The new power plant proposed along the route of the Constitution/NED would burn over 200 million cubic feet of fracked gas per day and spew 5 MILLION TONS of additional greenhouse gas emissions and toxic chemicals into the air every year.
- Approving more gas infrastructure takes us backwards. It's time to kick the fossil fuel habit and aggressively pursue renewable energy from wind, water, and the sun.
- Even if NED goes away, all of the dirty compressor stations, power plants, and other gas infrastructure proposed by NED could still be added to Constitution. There is only one solution, and that is for Governor Cuomo to Stop the Constitution Pipeline.
OR JUST COPY AND PASTE THIS LETTER: